Friday, June 25, 2010

Village Clinics

So, ever since I first visited Malawi I have wanted to do village clinics. 85% of the people here live away from the city and in the village which means access to healthcare is a challenge. In Gusu (the village where E3 is working) it is about 12 miles to the closest health clinic. The last time we were out there a small child less than a year old was very sick. The mom was suspecting malaria but 12 miles is along way to walk carrying a sick child. Her other option would have been to hire a bike to give her a ride on the back, holding the child. Thankfully we were able to drive her into the health clinic so that the child could get the proper treatment.

So....the last two Thursdays I have been lucky enough to go out with Ministry of Hope to do mobile clinics with them. They are working in 4 villages where they have set up feeding centers. For those of you who have been here before imagine the place where they feed the kids at Yossa. Each feeding center has a building with a roof and 1/2 height walls and a maize mill.

I really wish I had some good pics to post but I was so busy the whole time we were at the clinics that I didn't manage to get any really good pics. I will try to get some the next time we go out.

The first week we were able to see 200 patients and this last thursday we saw 220 patients. First we weigh everyone, take their temp and other vital signs. Then they get sent to see the clinical officer (this week we had 2). From the clinical officers exam they either get sent over to the lab area for simple tests like malaria screening, urinanalysis etc... or they come to the pharmacy to get their medicine. The last two weeks I have been the pharmacy. We bring lots of medications in huge bins. Then we set them up kind of like tables and dispense the medicine from there. They have me do the pharmacy since I have been working in the country long enough to be familiar with the medicines, plus I can speak enough chichewa to tell them how to take most medications. It takes 2-3 people working in the pharmacy just under 6 hours to fill 220 prescriptions, just in case you were wondering.

We are able to move people thru so quickly because of all the workers that come along each week. We have 1-2 clinical officers, 1 malawian nurse, 1-3 american nurses, 2-3 med students, 1 lab tech and then other people who are here from the US for the summer to help out with the weights, temps, recording things etc....

It is really impressive to see how well the system works on such little resources. I was totally excited to be able to go out and actually use my nursing skills in the community and I am hoping to make it a regular part of my schedule here. It is a nice change of pace from working in the clinics here in the city. The only downside.....the pit toilets. But so far we have survived those! I will really try to get some good pics to post so you can really see how it looks.

Thank you to all of those back home who are supporting us as we are here in Malawi! It is because of you all that I get a chance to something as rewarding as this!

Becky

1 comment: